Simply sitting, relaxing and bringing your attention to your breath (aka meditation) can do wonders for your hormones in several ways!
- Meditation gets you out of flight-or-flight mode, lowers blood pressure and heart rate, and improves blood sugar, immune function and digestion (by balancing adrenal hormones).
- Makes you feel happy and relaxed (through the release of the brain chemicals serotonin and oxytocin).
- Helps you sleep better (by increasing melatonin).
- Improves focus and memory (through the release of dopamine).
- Slows the aging process (by increasing DHEA and insulin-like growth factor).
- Helps bring back that sex drive (by lowering the stress hormone, cortisol).
Full article here
Blue-green light waves from electronic device screens (iPhone, iPad, computer, etc.) interfere with your body’s production of melatonin, the hormone that puts you to sleep at night. This is a problem because getting enough quality sleep is important for hormone balance, weight control, and a healthy mood. Luckily, this app can be installed, on your devises, to block blue-green light from your screens as evening approaches: justgetflux.com
To read more: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34744859
Gut bacteria may influence circadian rhythms too? Jeez, is there anything these little guys don’t do? It’s becoming increasingly clear who’s running the show here. Interesting study on mice: