Simply sitting, relaxing and bringing your attention to your breath (aka meditation) can do wonders for your hormones in several ways!
- Meditation gets you out of flight-or-flight mode, lowers blood pressure and heart rate, and improves blood sugar, immune function and digestion (by balancing adrenal hormones).
- Makes you feel happy and relaxed (through the release of the brain chemicals serotonin and oxytocin).
- Helps you sleep better (by increasing melatonin).
- Improves focus and memory (through the release of dopamine).
- Slows the aging process (by increasing DHEA and insulin-like growth factor).
- Helps bring back that sex drive (by lowering the stress hormone, cortisol).